Monday 4 November 2013

Science: Boat or Submarine

Today (4/11/13), our class did a science experiment in room 20. We had to decide what kind of shape we would be doing for the experiment. Then when after we had created the shape with clay, we placed it into the water and counted the coins we placed into the clay and when it sunk we took 1 away from our count. For example: if I counted 7 coins and it sunk on the last coin I minus one coin which equals 6. I hope you enjoy reading this science experiment! :)
Question/Goal/ problem
Make a shape that will hold more than 11 coins

What shape of container will hold the most weight ?
We are choosing a pan because it is wide and the wider it is, the more water keeps it afloat

Hypothesis
It will be able to hold more than 5 coins.
Materials
Container filled with water, modelling clay, old coins

Method (What I did)
Create a boat out of modelling clay.
I Fill the container with water.
Place the boat carefully onto the water so it floats.
One at a time , put coins carefully into the boat . Count how many coins are in the boat before it sinks.

Observation/ Analyse
We made a pan and we got 5 coins in so that's pretty good we thought we needed the pan to be bigger.

Conclusion  
It sank because it was probably tall and not wide enough. It floated because it was wide. The width and the length was about 44 cm wide.  
Where are my eye balls!!

This is fun!

I rich! NOT

11 comments:

  1. Looks like your enjoying these activities

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool post Tyrone.
    Awesome captions for your photo's.
    Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The science experiment sounds great. And great job of how many coins got put in the clay. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing job Tyrone.
    I like your captions they are funny :)
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post Tyrone, I like your captions on your photos. I enjoy doing the experiments and can't wait for the next one. Keep up the great posts Tyrone :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Tyrone,
    I love the captions,
    well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Tyrone it looks like you had fun yesterday with Mr Ford. Did you have fun? I did. Who did you work with? I worked with Zach. Keep up the good work Tyrone:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Tyrone It really looks fun for you.
    I like the way how you said I'm rich not that was funny.
    Keep up hte amazing work and don't stop. |:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work Tyrone.
    That was funny too.
    I like that you took pictures.
    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Tyrone!
    I like the way you have presented your reflection with a google drawing.
    The diagram looks so cool.
    Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Tyrone!
    Like the captions.
    Good Job :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...